1. First, spray paint the light fixture and remember to cover the light sockets with tape.
2. Use a 2 1/8 inch drill to make a hole into the barn wood for the electrical wires.
3. Remove the light fixture so you attach it to the barn wood. Drill 4 holes 1 on each end and 2 in the middle so you can secure the inside piece of your light strip to the wood. Then attach the exterior part of your light fixture.
4. Using 1 3/8 inch drill making holes into the mason jar lids for the light socket opening. With a 1/8 drill pre-drill two holes in each lid so they can also be fastened to the fixture.
5. Now place the mason jar bands on then the lids then screw them in. For a preview of your new light you could also screw in the light bulbs and mason jars at this point.
6. With a 3/4 inch drill bit, drill 4 holes two on each end of the wood so that you can run the rope through them and hang your light fixture. Note-the type of bulb you choose to use is totally up to you.
7. Now install a ceiling hook on which you will hang your light, in this example the ceiling is slanted so that makes hanging the light in the center complicated. For this project LZ decided to hang her light approximately 8 inches from the electrical outlet so it can be centered with the table.
8. Now measure how high from the table you would like your fixture to hang, the height of the fixture and length of rope will of-course depend on the height of your ceiling. Remember to account for the mason jar length too.
9. Cut your rope into four different strands, two you will use on the sides of your fixture and they will go about 3/4. The third will combine the first two so you can hang your fixture from the ceiling. The fourth will be used as decoration. Use one strand on each side of the board and knot it underneath. The third can be folded in half and used to bring the sides together.
10. Add an electrical plastic cap to your ceiling hole. Shorten the electrical cord if too long.
11. To hide the electrical cord, twist a smaller rope around the main rope.
12. If the black electrical cord is an eye sore for you all you have to do is paint it white and you’re done.